The old sewage treatment plant in Prague, Bubenec
The old sewage treatment plant (formerly Ecotechnical Museum) is located in the listed area of the old sewage treatment plant, which is one of the important objects of our industrial architecture. Part of the tour is a visit to the underground operating building, where visitors can learn about the history of sewage and wastewater treatment. One floor above, in the steam engine room, are still working steam engines from Breitfeld & Danek 1903, which run on special occasions.
Even though it was originally meant to be used until the 1930’s the plant served its purpose until 1967, when it was superseded by the modern mechanical-biological treatment plant at nearby Cisarsky Island. In the early ’80s original sedimentation tanks served as manipulation tanks for sludge from the new plant. And almost endless reuse is probably the main reason why old plant survived better times. The forgotten buildings in the mid-80s were discovered by enthusiasts who started again returning it to its former glory. On 26. 4. 1991 the area was declared a cultural monument.
The old wastewater treatment plant – hire a description
A sufficiently large, comfortable hall is suitable for weddings, balls, banquets, concerts and celebration evenings with a capacity of up to 400 people standing and 200 people seated. An advantage is its 16 m high ceiling, allowing the space to feel very pleasant, and an airy appearance.
The main hall has adjacent smaller room for a maximum of 40 people per session or 60 people standing. A specially constructed floor can be built with a capacity of 20 persons per session or 30 people standing.
The total number of seating: 340
Total number of persons on the stand: 600
Smoking only in dedicated smoking room
Main Hall: 330 m 2
Gallery: 206 m 2
Facilities for performers: 85 m 2
Catering facilities: 154 m 2
Dressing Room: 20 m 2
Designated Smoking Area: 15 m 2
Engine room: 102.5 m 2
A bit of history
The Old waste water treatment plant in Prague Bubenec is an important building reminding of architecture-, technique- and water management- history. It was built between the years 1901 – 1906 as the last part of Prague sewer network. It was in use until 1967 when a new-built modern Central waste treatment plant (situated on Cisarsky island near the original location of the Old waste water treatment plant) was put into operation. The sewer system and technical parameters of the Old waste water treatment plant were projected by a British civil engineer, Mr. William Heerlein Lindley.