Franciscan Monastery of St. James
In Prague’s Old Town, on the corner of Stupartska and Jakubska street, is the ancient church of St. James, already mentioned in the 12th Century. The temple and monastery is one of the most interesting sights of Prague, as it combines architectural styles from Gothic to baroque. It is a historical area, which was, up to now, closed to the public.
Rental space Franciscan Monastery of St. James
The main room is the room of John of Luxembourg, which offers the possibility to organize various events such as community meetings with clients, banquets, receptions, press conferences, seminars, presentations and concerts. In addition to the John of Luxembourg hall is a Gothic hall, which can be used for catering or other special events.
The monastery of St. Minor James also offers additional space that can be used for other types of events. It is a Gothic cellar with tasting room and fireplace, romantic garden courtyard, pass paradise garden and a Gothic cloister and the church of St James, where, with agreement, there is an option of an organ concert.
Capacities of the monastery of St. James
Hall of John of Luxembourg
180-190 people theater seating 80-120 people banquet , 250 reception (with a Gothic arcade corridor).
50 people theater seating (2 rooms + 1 tasting room with a fireplace), 30 person banquet, 80-100 people banquet . The total capacity of the internal space is a 300 person banquet
Maximumi capacity 50 people
If you would like more information about renting Franciscan Monastery of St. James and the possibilities of catering events? Prague catering – your reliable and creative catering partner – contact.
History of the Franciscan Monastery of St James
In 1311 (or 1309) John of Luxembourg and Elisabeth of Bohemia celebrated their wedding in this building. Prague Castle was then nothing but rubble and for the wedding feast, this ancient building was chosen. In 1337 the second wedding feast of John of Luxembourg with the queen Beatrici was also held here. Later, he and Charles IV, as Margrave of Moravia, were given their privileges by Prague citizens. At the same time, 1374, for the presence of St. James, the building was solemnly consecrated by Archbishop Jan Ocko of Vlašim. In its final form, the Cathedral of St. James was one of the greatest tourist shrines and has been the site of many ceremonies, not only religious and funereal (in 1378 there was the magnificent bier containing the exposed body of Charles IV.), But also a very important stage of political and religious concerns (eg, Provincial Court meetings were held in the years 1411 and 1414 dismissing the negotiations between church authorities and the Hussite protestant group). Other attractions are the Gothic cellar, which is the only one preserved after fire in the 17th century. A statue of the Virgin Mary, from the 15th century is stored in a glass cabinet in the church on the main altar. This statue was said to have miraculous powers, and her people from all over the kingdom brought valuable gifts, and often the statue was hung with jewels and pearls. One of the legends relating to the church says that during turbulent times, a thief with the prospect of easy profits waited until vespers in the church and then stayed inside when the church was locked. He went to the statue and held his hands out to grab some expensive trinket when a statue of the Virgin Mary grabbed his hands. No matter how hard he tried, he could not get free from her grip of iron and was forced to wait for the arrival of the priest, who immediately aroused the monastery of the street and brought the abbot. He recognised that no power on earth would free the hand, so, they would have to cut it off. Scarcely had he finished speaking these words when the statue released her grip and the criminal could go to court, where the judge decided that the higher power had to be respected. The hand was chopped off, and this is still in the church, hanging on the wall to the right of the entrance, a blackened stump today.